Thursday, December 15, 2022

Day 16: Christmas Connections

 

Day 16 Christmas Connections


There is no longer Jew or Greek,

there is no longer slave or free,

there is no longer male and female;

for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:28


At 4:30, Carol called the group gathered in the Community Room to attention. “Welcome to our first game night. Tonight, our game is Common Bond.** We’ll count off into groups of three. Your group has five minutes to come up with as many things as you can that you have in common. Write each on a strip of paper. For example, you’ve all visited Disney World, or can ride a two-wheeler, or love chocolate chip cookies.” Eyes shifted to the table where refreshments waited. Carol passed out red and green strips of paper and markers. 


“When the bell rings, you begin. When it rings again, create a new group of three and add more things to your list. After three groups, we’ll meet to compare notes.”


After everyone was ready, Carol rang the bell. She was pleased to see many library regulars, some tutors and students, and a few families, everyone wearing the colorful name tags Omar had created. Lizabeta had come with her mother. She had explained that Tía Mariela was a little tired tonight. When the game began, laughter erupted almost immediately. After three shifts, Carol called the group to order.


“Does anyone want to share before we have our refreshments?” Carol asked.


“Nina, Carolina, and I come from the same town in Puerto Rico,” said Gina.


“Sam, Susan, and I both like to fly fish,” offered Karl.


“Arabella, Nancy, and I graduated the same year,” Mike shared.


“Lizabeta, Parker, and I love to read books with our Dads!” giggled Dana.


As they moved toward the refreshment table, which included chocolate chip cookies, Carol collected the red and green paper strips. New friends continued to share common bonds, learn names, and promise to return next week. Many said they couldn’t wait.


Advent Challenge: Play the Common Bond game with a group. Find something you have in common with each person in the group until the whole group is connected. Here are a few prompts to start: Enjoy singing carols. Love winter weather. Put candles in our windows. Love Jesus.


Prayer: Dear Jesus, you call us to be together. Why do we focus on our differences instead of what we share? Yet we share so much with you. Remind us daily that your love and peace are meant to be shared. For we are all one in you. Amen


My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”       John 17:20-23

              **Available on Google


No comments:

Post a Comment