Monday, November 6, 2023

Day Twenty: The Christmas Rose

 

The Christmas Rose

An Advent Story Calendar


Day Twenty


Mary, don’t be afraid. You have found favor with God. Listen, you are going to become pregnant. You will have a son, and you must name Him “Savior,” or Jesus. Jesus will become the greatest among men. He will be known as the Son of the Highest God. God will give Him the throne of His ancestor David, and He will reign over the covenant family of Jacob forever. Luke 1:30-33

Dropping the key on the carpet in the entranceway, Dora rushed through the kitchen doors into the greenhouse. Feebly, Joe waved a hand in her direction. Dora ran over and knelt beside him.


“Are you OK?” she asked, “What should I do?”


“I fell and landed on my wrist. I think I sprained my ankle too,” said Joe. “When I tried to get up, I couldn’t put my weight on it. Can you get your mother or brothers to help me up?”


“Mom is working late and my brothers are at basketball practice. Mom told me to come straight here today to stay with you. Can you sit up?”


“I can try,” said Joe.  Joe struggled into a sitting position. “I guess I’ll have to wait here for your mother to come home.”


“Should I call 911?” asked Dora.


“No, I think it is just a sprain. It’s awfully cold on this floor though.” 


Dora’s face twisted as she puzzled this out. Glancing around the room for some way to help Joe, her eyes stopped on the big rose pots resting on the pallets on wheels. 


“I’ve got an idea,” she told Joe. “Where’s the shovel you use to plant roses outside?”


“In the shed,” answered Joe, “but you can’t dig me up.” 


“Not dig,” said Dora,“tip.”


Rose History: Roses have long been connected with the Virgin Mary. Mary is called the mystic rose or the rose without thorns. Tradition states that before the entrance of sin into the world, roses in the Garden of Eden had no thorns. Mary’s vital role in God’s plan to redeem humanity connects her with the uncorrupted Garden and the beauty of roses. God created a world without sin and chose Mary to bear the Savior who would conquer sin and death.


Rose Hues: White roses are a symbol of innocence and purity. White roses

in weddings represent the pureness of the bond of love being created in marriage. Mary, pure of heart, carries white roses.


Prayer:  Purify my heart, O, Lord. Fill it with love for you and your children. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment