Monday, November 6, 2023

Day Seven: The Christmas Rose

 

The Christmas Rose


An Advent Story Calendar

Day Seven


Don’t run from tests and hardships, brothers and sisters. As difficult as they are, you will ultimately find joy in them; if you embrace them, your faith will blossom under pressure and teach you true patience as you endure. And true patience brought on by endurance will equip you to complete the long journey and cross the finish line—mature, complete, and wanting nothing. James 1:2-4

One afternoon, Dora didn’t skip into the greenhouse as she usually did. If Joe hadn’t known better, he would have thought she was puttering. She slumped into a chair by the compost bucket.


“Good afternoon, Dora,” said Joe. “Are you ready for some rose feeding today?”


“I suppose,” Dora sighed.


Joe pulled up a chair. “Do you want to tell me something?”


Dora took a long moment. “Our class is doing a project about the Arctic Environment. Each team gets to pick an Arctic animal to research. My teacher asked for a volunteer to roll the library cart to our classroom. I raised my hand but she didn’t pick me. Owen said I was too weak to push the cart.”


Joe paused, “What does Owen know? Didn’t you hit a softball all the way from your yard and through my greenhouse roof? Haven’t you been carrying the heavy bucket of compost all around the greenhouse? Don’t you wheel the roses around to find the best sun?” Dora was on the small side but her spirit was large and her will was strong.


Talking to her shoes, Dora said, “My brothers told me that I was too small to play ball with them. That’s why I was practicing alone in my yard.”


“Being small doesn’t mean that you are weak. Some muscles don’t show, Dora. Some muscles can only be seen by those looking for them, muscles like determination, perseverance, and kindness. Your muscles are strong.”


Dora lifted her head, “What do boys know, anyway. The red stake roses look hungry today.”


Rose History: An old Arabian tale tells of a time when all roses were white. One evening, a nightingale fell in love with some roses in a garden and began to sing to them. Beckoned closer by their perfume, he pierced his breast on a thorn. The nightingale’s blood colored the rose red. 


Rose Hue: Red roses are a symbol of martyrdom. Martyrs shed blood for their faith.


Prayer: Ever-present God, thank you for being with me on my journey to completely trusting you. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment