Monday, November 6, 2023

Day Thirteen: The Christmas Rose

 

The Christmas Rose

An Advent Story Calendar


Day Thirteen


Let’s not neglect what is good and share what we have, for these sacrifices also please God.

Hebrews 13:16

Looking deeper into the cave, Madelon saw the gifts the travelers had left, one glimmering like gold, another emitting an earthy citrusy scent, the third similar in fragrance but with a licorice accent. Madelon recognized these scents, one used for worship, the other for mourning. Her brothers’ gifts, honey representing the sweetness of life, dates symbolizing a long and fruitful life, and a lamb signifying vigor, health, and sacrifice, lay alongside. 


Sitting back on her heels, Madelon looked at her empty hands. She had broken the earthen pot holding her brothers’ supper. Back in the corner of her home where she slept there was little more than a change of linen and a brick she lay in the fire to warm her feet in the cold months. What had she to give a king?


“Madelon didn’t own much,” said Dora. “I have lots of stuff, Joe, but I don’t know what I could give a king.”


“Neither did Madelon,” said Joe. “What could a small girl have to give a king?”


Rose History: Roses were sacred to the ancient Egyptians, associated with their goddess Isis who played a role in helping the dead enter the afterlife. Roses bloom, die, and bloom again symbolizing the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth in the afterlife. Egyptians included rose petals in tombs and the mummification process.


Rose Hues: Peach roses represent sincerity and gratitude. Give peach roses to say thank you. Peach roses can be given when closing a business deal, finishing a class, or completing a project.



Prayer: What can I give him? Poor as I am, if I were a shepherd, I would give a lamb. If I were a wise man, I would do my part. What can I give him? Give him my heart. Lord, I give my heart to you. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment