Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Day 22: Stay Out of Bethlehem

 

Stay Out of Bethlehem

An Advent Calendar Story


Day 22


O holy night, the stars are brightly shining;

It is the night of our dear Savior's birth!

Long lay the world in sin and error pining,

Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.


Luke 1:15-20 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, Lets go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.


“Stay out of Bethlehem.” My father had warned me. “People like us aren’t welcome there except at Passover when lambs are needed for the sacrifice. We are so close to Jerusalem that many stop here on their way to the temple. Our prices are lower too. Those thieves at the temple gates charge three times as much as we can get here in the country. When we are useful for pulling travelers to the shops of Bethlehem we are welcome. Other than then, those that live there would rather we stayed in our fields. No, stay out of Bethlehem. Nothing but trouble awaits you there”


In my thirteen years, I had taken his advice. What did I want with town life? The fields and hillsides were good enough for my flock and therefore good enough for me. My flock was my life, nay, my family, since I spent more time with them than in my father’s home. After mother died giving birth to my brother, home no longer called to me. Stricken by his grief, father forgot his three children. My sister, Miriam, had taken over the care of the baby and our home. After the first fortnight, I had bid Miriam and baby Samuel farewell and gone to live with my flock.


People say that sheep follow their shepherd, but shepherds also follow their sheep. I wandered with them as they sought green pastures, still waters, and safe pathways. Along the way, I encountered fellow wandering souls, shepherds young and old. Occasionally, we would gather around a fire, exchanging stories of sheep and men. 



Advent Challenge: What stories do you tell at Christmas? Do you read about the Grinch? Scrooge? St. Nick? Do you tell stories of family adventures or remember those we’ve loved and lost? The stories we tell define our lives. Take the story of the holy night as your own. Fall on your knees. Praise his holy name.


Prayer: Led by the light of faith serenely beaming, with glowing hearts by His cradle we stand. Truly He taught us to love one another; His law is love and His gospel is peace. Lord, we praise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment