Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cravings




 When my mother was expecting her fifth child, she had an unquenchable craving for pickled pig’s feet. Yuck! We cringed every time she mentioned them.  Who eats pig’s feet? We watched in horror as she opened the jar. I will never forget the “squilk” as she pulled them out. 


I looked up pickled pig’s feet in Wikipedia to refresh my memory, since the last time I saw them was 1963. They are identified as African-American soul food or Irish or Korean Cuisine. Since we are Italian, I just don’t get the connection. The only thing I can figure out is that we had recently moved from Mississippi to Seattle and the southern tastes must have followed us. Perhaps Mom craved coffee or seafood when we moved from there to Pennsylvania.  


Cravings, of course, are not rational.  In fact, a craving is defined as an irrational need for something. When you need chocolate, you need chocolate!  Gee, I want chocolate and I’m allergic to it. So I understand what my mother was feeling.  We all crave something. Sometimes it’s food or drink or possessions; sometimes it’s something that doesn’t come from a store. 


Our most basic cravings are for food and shelter. Just ask any screaming infant. He wants his dinner!  A dry diaper and a warm bed are also top priorities.   Next, we want safety. Kids need a safe place to live and grow and a comfortable home and caring parents to protect them. Later, we worry about financial security and health. And we crave love.  First, we need the love of our parents, then the friendship of our peers and, as we mature, the intimacy of a spouse.  We want to feel confident and respected, and we want to use our talents to fulfill our dreams.


Sometimes our cravings are harmless. Pickled pig’s feet, though unappealing to me, are actually edible.  But sometimes, we develop cravings for things that are harmful.  Most mature adults can tell the difference.  Kids need a parent’s wisdom and guiding hand.  Too much of anything can be harmful, even chocolate, the Internet or texting. Wise parents help kids curb their cravings.

My mother has eaten nary a foot since that baby was born.  She was a beautiful baby with no porcine characteristics. She is a wonderful sister and now has four children of her own.  I know what she craves for her kids; she wants them to be cared for, safe, loved, and confident -- just like you want your kids to be.

1 comment: