Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Once Again, We Look to Mr. Rogers




After this week’s tragedy in Boston, the media reminded us of advice Mr. Rogers offered after September 11th:

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.

For many years, millions of children visited Mr. Rogers Neighborhood every day. They listened as Mr. Rogers talked directly to them. They traveled to the Neighborhood of Make Believe to work out issues that related to their young lives. Many moms and dads joined them there because Mr. Rogers was so comforting, so caring, so gentle, and so kind. Everyone felt safe there. 

Many wonderful tributes have been written about Fred Rogers who was definitely deserving of praise. But here’s where we get it all wrong.  Mr. Rogers didn’t want us to praise him.  He didn’t ask us to watch his neighbors. He didn’t ask us to enjoy his neighbors. He asked us to BE his neighbors. 

He sang, “Won’t you please, won’t you please, please won’t you be my neighbor?” He wasn’t teaching us to appreciate kind and gentle people. He was asking us to BE kind and gentle people. With his show, and with his life, he was showing us how to be a good neighbor.  

Who can we look to now that Mr. Rogers is gone to teach us to be kind and gentle, to listen, to help, to share?  Fred answered that question for us. That person is you. That person is me. It is my job to carry on his mission. I can be kind. I can be gentle. I can listen and share and love my neighbors. We can still BE Mr. Rogers’ neighbors. He showed us how. Now it’s up to us to take over. Be a neighbor and teach your children to be neighbors too. Then it will truly be a beautiful day in every neighborhood.



No comments:

Post a Comment