Friday, September 6, 2013

My Goal




My Goal

My goal this year is to educate the hearts and minds of my students.
I want them to realize that there is so much to know,
So much to love,
So much to wonder about,
And so much to share.

Every day is an opportunity for joy,
Sorrow,
Hope,
Fear,
Anger,
Passion.

I want them to say, “Read it again!”
I want them to ask “Why?”
I want them to beg,
“Can we sing…”
“Can we do…”
“Can we learn…”
“Can we know…”

I want them to know that math anchors our world,
Science explores it,
Geography maps it.
History records it,
Art illustrates it,
Music sings it,
And reading…
Reading sweeps us into the hearts and minds of another
Dragging us back,
Pulling us forward.

While reading, you can climb mountains while sitting in a wheelchair,
Explore the ocean floor without knowing how to swim,
Touch the stars with your feet on the ground,
Hold the hand that held the brush that painted the Sistine Chapel,
Or the rod that parted the Red Sea.



I want them to know that education is
Not about tests
Homework
Projects
Reports
Grades

Education is about learning to live.

Studying the successes, failures, and follies of those who came before.
And then succeeding, failing, or falling on your own,
And getting up,
 And going on,
 And trying again.

I want to be the spark that gets the fire going.
I want to warm my students’ minds and see the glow in their eyes.
I want them to set their own goals and reach for the stars.

And when they touch them,
I want them to reach back
And pull another wonderer along.
So that a continuous chain
Lights the way
For us all.

Lisa Marie Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment