Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial




Memorial

I remember how Papa

Walked over the hill,

His face bright and shining

His voice, calm and still.

He told me he loved me

And kissed me goodbye,

And marched off to war

To do battle and die.



I remember how Mama

Stood watching him go,

And whispered a prayer

And let her tears flow.

She pulled me up close

And took hold of my hand,

And we turned and walked slowly

Across the hot sand.



I’ve never forgotten

What happened that day,

And I’ll always remember

The wind and the spray

And Papa who kissed me

And answered the call,

And Mama who loved me

And stood straight and tall.



And now the years flow

My own children live free

And I tell them of Papa

And Mama and me.

I will help them remember

Those who went and who stayed,

And the blessings they gave us

And the price that they paid.



By Lisa Marie Scotto

No comments:

Post a Comment