Sunday, January 13, 2013

Having a Servant's Heart


                   A Servant's Heart

The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Christ.  John answered them all, “I baptize you with water.  But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.  He will baptize you with fire and the Holy Spirit.    Luke 3:15-16

     I teach the primary grades and I tie a lot of shoes. Of course, we try to teach our students to tie their own shoes. In kindergarten, we sing songs and tell stories to help them – the little rabbit that goes around the tree and through the hole. We expect them to have mastered this skill by second grade. But, of course, many are just not ready so laces fly free. So, I tie a lot of shoes.

          Often when I kneel at the feet of one of my students, I think of the passage above and feel honored.  Who knows what great things these kids might grow up to do?  After all, one might be the future president. Or they might do something truly great, like hold the hand of a dying friend; bring joy to an aging parent, laugh with a brother, or cry with a stranger.  

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “Anybody can be great… because anybody can serve.  You don’t have to have a college degree to serve… You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”  

While I am kneeling in front of a child, I try to remember to thank the one whose shoes “I am not fit to tie” for teaching me to serve. 

LMC 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment